Friday, September 28, 2007

I Need to Get a Few Things Off My Chest

Well you all already know how beautiful my children are so I am going to forgo adding new happy pictures of them today and do something I really never dreamed that I would have to do: defend my daughter's adoption. In light of new sensationalized "media" coverage I think the wonder of illegal activity surrounding adoptions from Guatemala is in people's minds and I'd like to set the record straight.

Two events bring me here to do this. The first was a completely biased report done on NPR's show All Things Considered. NPR was once a source I turned to for a balanced view on world events where I was able to formulate my own opinions. After last weeks story on Guatemalan adoptions I can no longer regard their "news" reporting as truth. They left listeners with the idea that all one needs is money and an adoption from Guatemala is "quick". Anyone that remotely knows me, knows the 12 month struggle it took to bring her home. For 8 months, I knew my baby and half of my heart was in Central America. Our case, just like all the others, went through the rigorous checks and balances of both the US and Guatemalan government. We followed the rules and brought our daughter home legally and ethically. Highly quoted in the piece was a representative from UNICEF. Yes, UNICEF has done plenty for countless children worldwide in terms of vaccines and food relief but they are VERY anti-adoption. To see what I mean please read this.

The 2nd was a reference a friend made that Guatemala is a "baby farm". Birth Mothers (often respectfully referred to as First Mothers) are NOT paid to relinquish their children in Guatemala. That is against the law. However, it should be noted that it is NOT against the law in the United States for a Prospective Adoptive Parent to provide financial assistance to an American First Mother. Money that is paid to the attorneys in Guatemala is for the care/food/medical needs of our babies, salary to the Foster Moms, translation of documents and fees for the attorney's honest work.

This is me, speaking as an adoptee. Imagine Devon's horror if one day 10 years from now she is online doing a Google search (or whatever the hip piece of technology will be at the time to find out info) and she reads an article that Guatemalan babies were bought or sold as a commodity because of sloppy reporting. Put yourself in her shoes. Put yourself in my shoes. It just is not true. To make the "media" accountable, please sign this online petition.

Yes, there are a few bad apples out there that have given adoptions a black eye. Those people have been caught and prosecuted. Rightfully so.

Adoptions in Guatemala may or may not stop at the end of this year. Not because of the unscrupulous few that tried to milk the system. Because of something called The Hague Treaty. To put it simply, The Hague Treaty was put into place to ensure that countries participating in international adoptions adhere to standards. Guatemala is working through legislation to comply with the treaty. In fact, they most likely will become compliant before the US does. That's right. The almighty US of A is not Hague Compliant.

That fact leads me to my next point. Because the US is not compliant and most other countries that are involved in International Adoption are, there are only a handful of countries that will permit Americans to adopt children from them. Russia, The Ukraine, China, Ethiopia, Haiti and Guatemala are all on the short list. From that list, you have issues with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) in Eastern Europe, a nearly 3 year wait for a daughter from China and countries with black children, and let's face it, the stigma surrounding inter-race adoptions is alive and well.

Children in Guatemala are mostly cared for in private foster care, receive one on one attention. They are less likely to have FAS because culturally women do not drink alcohol there. Plus it is in our hemisphere making trips back to continually celebrate Devon's birth country an easier reality.

If you are wondering why so many children are placed for adoption in Guatemala, you can read this . It is 63 pages long and goes into detail to what the socioeconomic situation is like in Guatemala. If you've ever been to a slum in the US, it doesn't even begin to compare to the level of poverty in Guatemala. It isn't something that I talk a lot about. Devon's birth country is filled with natural beauty and warm people. Obviously the details need to be presented so you can assess for yourself why adoption is the only answer for many First Mothers.

If you've made it this far, you now understand how passionate I am about the need for the truth to be heard. You now understand that you cannot believe all that is reported in the "media". You probably already know how much we love our daughter and how much we respect the difficult decision a beautiful 18-year-old woman made to save her baby girl from poverty and social injustice.

Devon is waking from her nap now. I am signing off now to go and love my baby.

8 comments:

Our Family of 5 said...

Amen Sista!

Anonymous said...

Tara you said it perfectly!!!! Until you have been through the countless screenings, background checks, and outright violation of any privacy you have ever had, you will never understand. Until you have worried for months if a simple gramatical error or misspelling will cause your child to have to wait even longer to come home (because PGN is SO VERY PICKY about checking, double checking and TRIPLE checking to make sure we are who we say we are, the birth mothers know and understand and agree to relinguish their child, and that no one is falsifying documents), you will never understand. Until you've boarded a plane in the US knowing proverty exists, and a few hours later gotten off the place to see poverty unlike anything you could have ever imagined crowded behind caution tape at the airport, you could will never understand. I encourage anyone with a negative opinion of Guatemalan adoptions to just take a short, inexpensive flight to Guatemala. You will fall in love with the wonderful people & beautiful country and have a wonderful time, but most of all you will see a life unlike even the poorest of poor has to experience here in the US and realize not everything is black and white like the media paints it. Thank you so much Tara for this post. I am going to send it to friends and family members of mine to help clarify the situation as well.

Baby John's Crib said...

Thank you for a beautiful, well-thought out expressive post. Would you mind if I put a link on my blog? It explains things so much better than I can.

Thanks, Tracy

Kristen and the Gang said...

Tara...WOW! You did an awesome job explaining how WE all feel about the current media coverage about OUR children's adoptions. You explained the truth behind our adoptions very accurately. WE all know the HELL we went through to bring these GIFTS FROM GOD home. WE also know the truth behind our babies adoptions and the wonderfully SELFLESS acts that these Bmom's went through to make sure that their babies would have a chance at a "good" life. A life that doesn't include hunger, poverty, no or little education and most devastating is violent crimes towards girls/women. WE will all continue to support each other, help each other through prejudices such as these and most of all LOVE all these wonderful little girls and boys beyond belief and never let them forget for 1 minute that their "first moms" loved them soo much they wanted them to have a chance at a life they didn't have themselves. We will also make sure they know their "second/forever/adopted moms" LOVE THEM MORE THEN LIFE ITSELF and WANTED THEM MORE THEN ANYTHING!!! These are the truths behind Guatemalan adoptions!

Ruthanne said...

Tara--you said it better than I ever could have. Thank you!!
Kelly--your comments are right on the mark.
May I add that children in Guatemala are dying from parasites?!? How is that possible in this day and age? Poverty, that's how.And there are birthmoms who would rather have their child be adopted than take the chance that they may live/die that way.
And while the reporters are 'reporting', I hope they remember to add that the U.S. is the one holding up most of the Guatemalan adoptions at this point. PGN is scary, but for many people it's a shorter wait than pre-approval from our own embassy!!
And don't even get me started on the second DNA test....
Well said, sister. Keep those types of posts coming!

Kelly said...

Tara and everyone that has commented Thank you for saying what I want to say but cannot put into words.

JoAnn said...

Tara, I too am sorry that you have to "defend" your adoption- I feel the SAME WAY about Allyson's adoption. Thank you for so elequently commenting on/combatting this recent waive media bias against Guatemalan adoptions. Also, Kelly and Ruthanne~ I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Tara, thankyou for taking the time to write such a thorough explanation and include links. I am so sick of the biased, negative media coverage of Guat adoptions and now having this sinking feeling everytime someone asks me where our children are from that I should launch into propaganda control mode cause I'm sure they are looking at me like I bought two children from some unsuspecting, poor mother. I know where I will be sending the ones who ask!