Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Today Is WORLD Autism Day!

I am humbled to say that today has been noted as "World Autism Day". Across the globe people are getting the word out that autism really is an epidemic and that it effects millions across the world.

Most of you know that autism has touched our life with Logan. My sweet, smiling Logan. He is 5 now at was officially diagnosed around 2 and a half however I knew something in him changed at around 15 months old. He went from being a gregarious and engaging little soul to fixating on ceiling fans seemingly overnight. What he was gaining in terms of development was lost. I was told by the "smart people" (ie. Dr's) to wait because boys develop later. What did I know? I was a 1st time Mom and only had my instinct to go on.

We started therapy before his diagnosis because we decided to act on instinct instead of the medical mainstream mantra. We started and never looked back and it was the best decision we could have ever made.

Those early days were often dark and seemed bleak. Looking back today, Logan has come so far. I remember the 1st time he said "Mom". I cried so hard to hear his beautiful voice say my name. I promise you that I will never tire of hearing him call my name. It still makes me smile. We have rough patches but we have so much to celebrate and so much to look forward to.

A diagnosis of autism isn't the end. It's just the beginning of a long road. A road filled with triumphs, tears, making new friends that "get it".....a road to life viewed a little differently, through the eyes of someone you love with autism.

Peace!

7 comments:

Amy S. said...

Soooooooooooo very, very true Tara! As we know its not the end, but the beginning of a different road.
Have a great week ..and a big Hug to Logan for coming so far.

Love and Huds..

Unknown said...

Tara your post brought tears to my eyes. You are the greatest mom that Logan could have! What a precious gift he is! He would make anyones life complete with that smile!

Ruthanne said...

Logan is a lucky little boy to have parents who love him so much and spend so much time caring for his needs above their own. You are one awesome Monny!!!!

Our Family of 5 said...

Logan is absolutely lucky to have the best mommy! You are so great with him, and seeing it first hand makes me proud to call myself your friend!

Anonymous said...

I cried through your whole post because it hit some deep rooted emotions I carry as well. You are amazing, Tara. That's all I can say.

Stacey and Dewey said...

Tara, what a beautiful post, your an amazing woman, and Logan is a lucky blessed little boy.

Kelly said...

Much love to you and yours. You are one good momma!!!!!